Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Playing Outside

"Taking a walk" with Alex is like following Dennis the Menace home from school. Remember the cartoons that showed his path all over neighbors' yards, up trees, in dog houses, and finally back home? That's how Alex walks. We start off in the neighbor's yard, then we play under his house (he's only here once a month), then we might walk down a sidewalk before trying to dart back in the cul-de-sac or in someone else's yard. Sometimes he pushes his dump truck down the sidewalk, and sometimes it gets left behind. We point at trees and birds and dogs and watch the big kids play. I tried taking a video - it doesn't really do the walk justice since I was afraid I'd get dizzy if I kept video taping and walking.

Alex is also in love with practicing going up and down the stairs. He's really good at going up - and has been for quite a while. I guess he sees going down as a challenge he has to conquer, because we practice that a lot. He's tried several methods, but currently his favorite is holding the railing on the top step and my hands the rest of the way. I don't often catch him relaxing, so I was thrilled to get him watching the palmetto tree blowing in some pretty strong wind gusts.

IMG_4566

Watching the palmetto tree blow in the breeze.

IMG_4570

Pointing at the palmetto tree.

IMG_4573

There’s got to be somewhere to dig around here!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment